London: Routledge. (eBook is available)
Workbook.London: Routledge. (eBook is available)
- Yip, V. & S. Matthews. In Preparation. Bilingual Development. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.
Feng, S. & V. Yip. (eds.) 2014. William Labov and William S-Y. Wang: A Dialogue on Sound Change. Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Yip, V. & S. Matthews. 2013. 双语儿童：早期发展与语言接触 《语言科技文库》 译者：蔡雅菁 出版社: 北京世界图书出版公司
See review by Fang Yew-Jin (2001). Asian Studies Review 25.3.379-381.
Reviews of Yip (1995) include the following:
~ Yuan Boping (1997) Studies in Second Language Acquisition. 19.4:513-514.
~ Wolfgang Kuhlwein (1999) International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching 37.4:321-327.
Reviews of Matthews and Yip (1994) include the following:
~ Samuel H-N. Cheung (1996) International Review of Chinese Linguistics Vol.1.1:129-133
~ Alain Peyraube (1996) International Review of Chinese Linguistics Vol. 1.1.: 126-128 [in French]
~ Hugh Baker (1996) School of Oriental and African Studies Bulletin pp. 182-184.
~ Gisela Bruche-Schulz (1996) Cahiers de Lingusitique-Asie Orientale 25:135-157.
~ JeroenWiedenhof (1996) Glot International Vol.2.3:19.
~ Marjorie Chan (1998) Journal of Chinese Language Teachers Association Vol.33.3:97-106. (online review by Marjorie Chan)。
Journal articles, book chapters and conference proceedings:
- Kang, Xin, Virginia Yip, Stephen Matthews and Patrick C.M. Wong. 2023. A large-scale repository of spoken narratives in French, German and Spanish from Cantonese-speaking learners. Scientific Data. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-023-02090-6
- Lee, Jonathan H.N., Regine Y.K. Lai, Stephen Matthews and Virginia Yip. 2023. Prosodic interaction in Cantonese-English bilingual children’s speech production. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism doi: https://doi.org/10.1075/lab.21049.lee
- Ge, Haoyan, Fang Liu, Hoi Kwan Yuen, Aishu Chen and Virginia Yip. 2022. Comprehension of prosodically and syntactically marked focus in Cantonese-speaking children with and without Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-022-05770-1
- Zhou, Jiangling, Ziyin Mai, Qiuyun Cai, Yuqing Liang and Virginia Yip. 2022. Reference production in Mandarin-English bilingual preschoolers: Linguistic, input, and cognitive factors. Frontiers in Psychology. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2022.897031
- Mai, Ziyin and Virginia Yip. 2022. Caretaker input and trilingual development of Mandarin, Cantonese and English in early childhood (1;6-2;11). International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2022.2060037
- 麦子茵、吴庄、叶彩燕 2021. 幼儿三语习得研究：现状、个案及前景，《国际汉语教学研究》，4，4-14页. (Mai, Ziyin, Zhuang Wu & Virginia Yip. 2021. Early trilingual development: the state of the art and a Chinese case. Journal of International Chinese Teaching. 8(4), pp. 4-14.
- Kang, Xin, Stephen Matthews, Virginia Yip and Patrick Wong. 2021. Language and non-language factors in foreign language learning: evidence for the Learning Condition Hypothesis. npj Science of Learning 6. 28. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41539-021-00104-9
- Ge, Haoyan, Iris Mulders, Xin Kang, Aoju Chen and Virginia Yip. 2021. Processing focus in native and non-native speakers of English: An eye-tracking study in the visual world paradigm. Applied Psycholinguistics 42.4. 1057-1088. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0142716421000230
- Liu, Fang., Yanjun Yin, Alice Chan, Virginia Yip and Patrick Wong. 2021. Individuals with congenital amusia do not show context-dependent perception
of tonal categories. Brain and Language. DOI: 10.1016/j.bandl.2021.104908
- Mai, Ziyin, Lucy Xia Zhao and Virginia Yip. 2021. The Mandarin ba-construction in school-age heritage speakers and their parents.
Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism. https://www.jbe-platform.com/content/journals/10.1075/lab.18025.mai (pdf)
- Zhou Jiangling and Virginia Yip. 2021. The post-verbal pronoun KEOI in child Cantonese: a corpus-based study. Journal of Chinese Linguistics.49.2. 379–419.
- Ge, Haoyan, Aoju Chen and Virginia Yip. 2020. Comprehension of focus-to-accentuation mapping in sentences with only by advanced Cantonese learners and Dutch learners of English. Studies in Second Language Acquisition.1-25. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263120000248 (pdf)
- Zhou, J., Mai, Z., & Yip, V. 2020. Bi-directional cross-linguistic influence in object realization in Cantonese-English bilingual children. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1366728920000231 (pdf)
- Szeto, P., S. Matthews and V. Yip. 2019. Bilingual children as “laboratories” for studying contact outcomes: Development of perfective aspect. Linguistics. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/ling-2019-0012
- Yip, V., Z. Mai and S. Matthews. 2018. CHILDES for bilingualism. In D. Miller, F. Bayram, J. Rothman and L. Serratrice (eds.) Bilingual Cognition and Language: The State of the Science Across its Subfields. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Deng, X. and V. Yip. 2018. A multimedia corpus of child Mandarin: the Tong corpus. Journal of Chinese Linguistics, 46.1. 69-92. doi:10.1353/jcl.2018.0002
- Chan, A., S. Chen, S. Matthews and V. Yip. 2017. Comprehension of subject and object relative clauses in a trilingual acquisition context. Frontiers in Psychology. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.01641
- 叶彩燕 ，马诗帆. 2017. 父母语言策略与粤英双语儿童语码混合现象 《语言战略研究》Chinese Journal of Policy and Planning. Vol. 2.6.
- Mai, Z., J. C.Y. Kwan and V. Yip. 2016. Expressing Displacement in Heritage Cantonese: Cross-linguistic Influence and Structural Vulnerability. International Journal of Bilingualism. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1367006916681084
- Matthews, S. and V. Yip. 2016. Relative constructions. In Huang, C. R. and D. X. Shi. (eds.,) A Reference Grammar of Chinese. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Deng, X. and V. Yip. 2016. Cognition and perception in the linguistic encoding of space in child Mandarin. Journal of Chinese Linguistics 44.2. 287-325.
- Deng, X. and V. Yip. 2015. The linguistic encoding of space in child Mandarin: A corpus-based study. Linguistics 53:5.1079-1112.
- Yip, V. and S. Matthews. In press. Childhood bilingualism in the Chinese context. In W. Behr, Y-G. Gu , Z. Handel, C.-T. J. Huang and R. Sybesma. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics. Leiden: Brill.
Matthews, S. and V. Yip. 2014. Bilingual and multilingual acquisition of Chinese. In Huang, C.-T. J., Y.-H. A. Li, and A. Simpson (eds.), The Handbook of Chinese Linguistics, pp.495-510.
- Yip, V. 2013. Simultaneous language acquisition. In F. Grosjean and L. Ping (eds).The Psycholinguistics of Bilingualism, Wiley-Blackwell, 119-136.
- Chan, A., S. Matthews and V. Yip. 2012. The acquisition of relative clauses in Cantonese and Mandarin. In Evan Kidd (ed.) The Acquisition
of Relative Clauses: Processing, Typology and Function. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp.197-226.
- Tan, L.H., Chen, L., Yip, V., Chan, A.H.D., Yang, J., Gao, J. H., & Siok, W.T. 2011. Activity levels in the left hemisphere caudate–fusiform circuit predict how well a second language will be learned. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 108(6): 2540-4.
- Chan, A.H.D., Luke, K.K., P. Li, Yip, V., Li, G.., Weekes, B., & Tan, L.H. 2008. Neural correlates of nouns and verbs in early bilinguals. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1145: 30-40.
- Matthews, S. and V. Yip. 2008. Passive, unaccusative and pretransitive constructions in Chaozhou. In Djamouri, R., B.Meisterernst and R. Sybesma (eds). Chinese Linguistics in Leipzig, pp.163-174. Centre de Recherches Linguistiques sur l'Asie Orientale, Paris.
- Yip, V. and S. Matthews. 2007. Relative Clauses in Cantonese-English Bilingual Children: Typological Challenges and Processing Motivations. Studies in Second Language Acquisition 29: 277-300.
- Yip, V. 2006. Early bilingual acquisition in the Chinese context. In Li P., L-H .Tan, E. Bates & O. Tzeng. (eds.) Handbook of East Asian Psycholinguistics (Vol.1). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 148-162.
- Chan, A.H.D., Liu, H.L., Yip, V., Fox, P.T., Gao, J.H., & Tan, L.H. 2004. Neural systems for word meaning modulated by semantic ambiguity. NeuroImage, 22, 1128-1133.
- Yip, V. 2004. 粵英雙語兒童早期的語法發展 《當代語言學》第一期, 1-18 頁. “Early syntactic development in Cantonese-English bilingual children” Contemporary Linguistics 6.1.1-18.
- Matthews, S.& V. Yip. 2001. "The Structure and Stratification of Relative Clauses in Contemporary Cantonese," in H. Chappell (ed.), Sinitic Grammar:Synchronic and Diachronic Perspectives. Oxford University Press, 266-281.
- Yip, V. & G. Tang. 1998. "Acquisition of English Reflexive Binding by Cantonese Learners: testing the positive transfer hypothesis," in M-L. Beck (ed.), Morphology and its Interfaces in Second Language Knowledge. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Matthews, S & V. Yip. 1998. "Verb-copying Constructions in Cantonese," in B. T'sou (ed.), Studia Linguistica Serica. Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong.
- Yip, V. & S. Matthews. 1995. "I-Interlanguage and typology," in L. Eubank et al (eds.), The Current State of Interlanguage. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Yip, V. 1994. "Consciousness-raising and Learnability," in T.Odlin (ed.), Perspectives on Pedagogical Grammar. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.